Councilor Camuso Not Seeking Re-Election in 2015

Long-time Medford City Councilor Paul Camuso announced today he will not seek re-election in 2015. The following is an announcement Camuso released on Thursday afternoon:

Dear Friends and Colleagues:

As the New Year approaches and after consulting with my family, I have decided that I will not seek reelection to the Medford City Council in 2015. I have had the distinct honor of serving Medford with pride, passion and professionalism for the last fifteen years. Serving this past year as President of the Medford City Council has been one of many highlights during my career in public service.

I want to personally thank the residents of Medford for trusting me with their vote and giving me the opportunity to serve on the Medford School Committee and the Medford City Council. One of my dreams as a young man growing up in Medford was to become an elected official and give back to the community that has given me so much. As a product of the Medford Public Schools I am proud of being part of such a huge undertaking building all new elementary and middle schools and significantly upgrading Medford High School. Emphasizing the importance in a vibrant educational system was and always will be a priority of mine. I am also very proud of being a part of so many successful initiatives and projects that have greatly enhanced the quality of life in our City. As your City Councilor I look forward to continue working eagerly at making Medford a better place to live and raise a family over the next twelve months

A few people that I would like to thank for their guidance and friendship over my years of public service are the late Middlesex Sheriff James V. DiPaola, Mayor Michael J. McGlynn, Middlesex Sheriff Peter J. Koutoujian, former Medford City Council President Robert Maiocco, and Superintendent of Schools Roy Belson, and City Solicitor Mark Rumley. I would also like to thank my colleagues on the Medford City Council and the Medford School Committee for their dedicated service to the City Of Medford.

Upon conclusion of my term on the City Council I look forward to spending more time with my beautiful wife Jeanine and my amazing son James. As a private citizen I will always continue working to the best of my capabilities at making Medford the finest City in the Commonwealth. Again thank you and I wish you all the best in the New Year.

With all Sincerity

Paul A. Camuso
Medford City Councilor

N.H. Man Indicted on Charges he Secretly Videotaped Women in Arlington Cafe

A New Hampshire man who previously worked for the Arlington DPW has been indicted on charges of secretly videotaping women in a public restroom in Arlington.

A Middlesex County grand jury has indicted Joseph Hennessey, 53, of Salem, on charges of photographing or videotaping a person in a state of nudity (four counts) and with interception of oral communications.

Police Chief Frederick Ryan said in a news release: “We commend the women who were victimized for working with our detectives on this investigation. On the spectrum of privacy invasion, this is as bad as it gets.”

District Attorney Marian Ryan said in the release, “People need to act on their instincts because usually when they sense something isn’t adding up they’re correct. In this case, the employee saw something out of place, noticed a man acting suspiciously and then called police. The employee stopped a situation that was an extreme example of an invasion of privacy.”

Employee Found Flower Pot

Arlington police arrested Hennessey on Sept. 13 at the Kickstand Café, 594 Mass. Ave., after an employee found a flower pot that contained a secreted recording device in the women’s bathroom. Hennessey allegedly told the employee the flower pot belonged to him.

According to authorities, Hennessey was seen on two occasions at the café in September when the employee noticed the flower pot in the restroom. On the first occasion, Sept. 5, the employee used the restroom, noticed a flower pot directly in front of the toilet, exited the bathroom and later saw an individual the employee says was Hennessey allegedly exiting the women’s restroom. The employee reportedly left a note for her supervisor about the incident.

On the second occasion, slightly more than a week later, the same employee has told authorities she saw Hennessey again. On Sept. 13, the employee used the women’s restroom, noticed the same flower pot, picked it up and in moving the basket found a bundle of electronics and electrical tape.

The employee then reported that she heard someone outside the restroom speaking and knocking on the door. The employee claims the individual was Hennessey and that Hennessey told her the flower pot belonged to him.

Terminated as Town Employee

Police were called to the café and Hennessey was arrested.

YourArlington reported in September that Hennessey is an Arlington DPW employee who has been off the job for more than a year on workers’ compensation because of a workplace injury.

Caryn Molloy, town personnel director, said Sept. 15 that Hennessey’s start date in town was April 18, 2001.

Asked about his current town-employee status, Malloy wrote Wednesday, Dec. 17: “His employment with the Town of Arlington was terminated effective Wednesday October 1, 2014.”

The charges on which Hennessey has been indicted are allegations, and the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

The prosecutor assigned to this case is Assistant District Attorney Ceara Mahoney. This case was investigated by the Arlington Police Department.

- YourArlington.com

Governor, State Education Officials Meet at MHS

On Monday Medford High School hosted a joint meeting of the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education and the State Board of Early Education and Care. Outgoing Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick dropped by the meeting briefly. More photos of the meeting and the Governor’s visit are available on Medford’s Facebook page.

Governor Patrick and Medford officials

From left: Medford School Committee member Ann Marie Cugno, Medford Public Schools Budget Director Pat Velie, Medford School Committee member John Falco, Medford Deputy School Superintendent Beverly Nelson, Governor Deval Patrick, School Superintendent Roy Belson, Medford School Committee member Paulette Van der Kloot, Medford Assistant School Superintendent Diane Caldwell, and Medford School Committee member Erin DiBenedetto.

Governor Patrick and state education officials

Board of Elementary and Secondary Education Chair Margaret McKenna, MA Commissioner of Elementary and Secondary Education Mitchell Chester, Governor Patrick, Early Education and Care Board Chair Jay Gonzalez, and MA Early Education and Care Commissioner Tom Weber.

– InsideMedford.com

Mustang Swim Team Opens Season in New Pool

The Medford High School swim team opened up the season on Tuesday in their brand new pool. The Mustangs lost a close one to O’Bryant. The following photos were taken by Steve Eliopoulos. More photos are available on Medford’s Facebook page.

MHS pool

MHS pool

MHS pool

– InsideMedford.com

‘Catmas’ & ‘Howliday’ Caroling to Raise Funds for Kitty Connection

Christmas catLet’s spread some Pawliday Cheer!!

Kitty Connection is Howliday and Catmas Caroling this year! Your loved one could be serenaded by the Pawsome Kitty Connection Carolers this Holiday Season!

Contact Candice at catmascarol@gmail.com or call 617-420-2280 to set up a carol-gram package for your family and friends!

Dates:
Dec 20th – 24th

Times:
6:00 – 8:00pm

- Information from Kitty Connection

MVTHS Culinary Arts Holiday Bake Sale December 19

holiday cookies

Save the date- the vocational school’s Culinary Arts program is holding its annual holiday bake sale on Friday, Dec. 19th from 8:30-11:30am in the main lobby at Medford High School.

The sale will feature delicious contemporary and traditional holiday baked goods and hand-dipped gourmet chocolates prepared by MVTHS Culinary Arts students.

All baked goods are prepared from scratch and are attractively packaged for gift giving or for the holiday table.

- Information from the MVTHS Culinary Arts Department

Middlesex DA Launches 2015 Infant Safe Sleep Awareness Campaign

Cold Winter Months Increase Risk Factors for Infant Deaths

DA Ryan and baby

Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan announced a new county-wide Safe Sleep Awareness Campaign to reduce Sudden Unexpected Infant Death (SUID) at Winchester Hospital on Thursday.

In attendance were nearly 100 community partners from the fields of law enforcement, healthcare, social services and child welfare. Joining District Attorney Ryan at the event were State Senator Jason Lewis, Winchester Hospital CEO Kevin Smith, Chairman of the Winchester Hospital Board of Directors Paul Andrews, and Kathy Schuler, Vice President of Patient Care and Chief Nursing Officer at Winchester Hospital. Also attending the event were several police chiefs from Middlesex County: Arlington Chief Fred Ryan, Belmont Chief Richard McLaughlin, Lincoln Chief Kevin Kennedy, Stoneham Chief James McIntyre, Wakefield Chief Rick Smith, Weston Chief Kevin Mooney, and Woburn Chief Robert Ferullo. The 2015 awareness campaign, “Safe Sleep, Safe Babies,” was developed by District Attorney Ryan and members of the Middlesex Safe Babies, Safe Kids Task Force (SBSK).

“With winter upon us, now is a particularly important time to raise awareness about this important public safety issue. As the temperature outside declines, parents and caregivers may be tempted to turn the heat up inside, overdress their baby or put blankets in the crib,” said District Attorney Ryan. “What we know from the research, from the medical experts, and from having investigated cases of infant deaths ourselves, is that we can reduce the risk for SUID by not exposing babies to overheating and hazards in the crib. Overheating and suffocation are completely preventable, yet we know these to be factors in infant deaths nationwide, and historically we’ve seen these deaths increase during the colder months of the year.”

The Middlesex District Attorney’s State Police CPAC Unit responds to and investigates all unattended deaths in Middlesex County, including those involving infants. Over the last five years, the Middlesex Child Fatality Review Team, led by District Attorney Ryan, has reviewed 19 cases of infant deaths that occurred while sleeping.

SUID is the leading cause of deaths among babies in their first year of life. In 2010, more than 2,000 babies in the United States died of SUIDs. According to the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, it is the third leading cause of death statewide for children under the age of 12 months. In Massachusetts, 30 to 50 deaths are attributed to SUID each year.

To decrease the chances of SUID, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends the following:
– Placing an infant for sleep on his/her back until the age of 1;
– Placing the baby on a firm sleep surface covered by a tight-fitted sheet;
– Keeping soft objects and loose bedding out of the crib, such as pillows, blankets, quilts, comforters, sheepskins, toys, stuffed animals and bumper pads;
– Having the infant’s crib, portable crib, play yard, or bassinet in the parents’ bedroom close to the parents’ bed;
– Room-sharing is recommended, but bed- sharing is not advised because it can result in suffocation, strangulation and entrapment;
– Preventing overheating by not overdressing infants;
– Avoiding over bundling and covering of the head and face;
– Dressing infants in clothing appropriate for their environment;
– Avoiding smoking, during and after pregnancy, and exposing a baby to second-hand smoke.

Experts also advise that room temperature be regulated between 68-72 degrees at all times of the year. Signs of overheating include sweating and/or the infant’s chest being hot to the touch.

This event marks the beginning of a series of county-wide risk reduction initiatives led by District Attorney Ryan and the Safe Baby, Safe Kids Task Force. This effort will include outreach to OB/Gyn and pediatric offices; educational materials for parents and caregivers; free regional community workshops for expectant and new parents on sleep safety; a smartphone app that promotes safe sleep tips; and a cable access show that will made available to stations across Middlesex County.

“The Safe Babies, Safe Kids Task Force has been doing great work in our communities, and I know that the 2015 Safe Sleep Awareness Campaign will help save more lives,” said Senator Jason Lewis. “I’m especially grateful to Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan for her longstanding leadership on prevention and wellness efforts.”

“The health and safety of our babies is the highest priority,” said Kathy Schuler, Vice President of Patient Care at Winchester Hospital. “The District Attorney’s Safe Sleep Awareness Campaign is an important step towards informing parents about safe sleep practices and we’re proud to work with District Attorney Ryan in helping to promote such an essential issue for parents.”

District Attorney Ryan created the SBSK Task Force in 2009 as a multi-disciplinary, cross-sector partnership to address issues of health and safety affecting babies and children in Middlesex County. SBSK partners include: Winchester Hospital; Melrose-Wakefield Hospital; Mount Auburn Hospital; Brigham and Women’s Hospital; Lowell General Hospital; Emerson Hospital; Newton-Wellesley Hospital; Holy Family Hospital; Tufts Medical Center; Metro West Free Medical Program; the Massachusetts Medical Society; the Massachusetts Department of Children and Families; the Massachusetts Department of Public Health; Children’s Trust; the Middlesex Sheriff’s Office; and the School of Nursing and Health Sciences at the University of Massachusetts Boston.

Middlesex County is the most populous county in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the twenty-third most populous county in the United States. There are more than 1.5 million residents in the county, and of those 85,000 are under the age of 5. District Attorney Ryan has prioritized the protection of children both in an out of the courtroom. Under her leadership, SBSK has produced and distributed educational materials to parents, caregivers and other stakeholders on topics such as Water Safety, Window Safety and Car Safety. The office’s Child Protection Unit– comprised of 9 Assistant District Attorneys, 5 Victim Witness Advocates, and 3 Child Interview Specialists– is a specialized unit charged with investigating and prosecuting crimes against children, and is actively engaged in the office’s community outreach and public education initiatives.

For more information about SUID, including additional recommendations for parents and caregivers, please review the policy statement published by the American Academy of Pediatrics: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2011/10/12/peds.2011-2284.

To learn more about the Middlesex Safe Babies, Safe Kids Task Force (SBSK) and to download educational materials, please visit http://middlesexda.com/prevention/safe-babies-safe-kids.php.

Pictured: Middlesex DA Ryan visits with new mom Wendy Giblin and baby John, patients at Winchester Hospital

- Submitted by Middlesex DA Marion Ryan’s office

Medford Receives $200K from Wynn Resorts

Wynn Resorts presented a $200,000 check to Medford Mayor Michael McGlynn today to support the Krystle Campbell Memorial Peace Garden in Medford. The payment is part of a Surrounding Community Agreement between the city and Wynn, which was awarded the Greater Boston gaming license and is building a $1.6 billion, five-star resort in Everett.

The Peace Garden honors the memory of Medford native Krystle Campbell who was killed in the Boston Marathon bombing. Along with remembering all victims of the 2013 attack, the $1 million garden on Riverside Avenue will be a public gathering place that will inspire humanity, diversity and inclusion. The design features seating areas, walkways and a sunflower garden, which was Krystle’s favorite flower.

“This garden is like Krystle…beautiful and full of life,” said Robert DeSalvio, President of Wynn Everett, who presented the $200,000 check to Mayor McGlynn and William Campbell III, Krystle’s brother. “From the moment we first saw the design, we were impressed with the meaning and symbolism behind every element. It’s a wonderful place for enjoyment, reflection and appreciation that we’re honored to be part of. It’s a beautiful and fitting tribute that’s special, just like she was.”

- Information from Wynn Resorts

Grace Episcopal Church Announces Holiday Schedule

Grace Episcopal Church

Celebrate the Season!

Grace Episcopal Church invites you to celebrate Christmas with us!

All are welcome!

Christmas Eve Services:

4:00PM Children and Family Service
7:00PM Festive Candlelight Service with Choir

Christmas Lessons and Carols with Holy Eucharist
10:00AM Sunday, December 28th (no 8:00AM or 5PM services)

Grace Episcopal Church
160 High Street
Medford, MA 02155
office@gracemedford.org
781-396-7215
www.gracemedford.org

- Submitted by the Reverend Noah H. Evans, Rector, Grace Episcopal Church. Photo by Doug Shoop.

Harvard Street to be Closed Briefly for Green Line Construction Work Dec. 20th & 21st

Green Line construction

The section of Harvard Street between Main Street and Boston Avenue will be closed for a brief period this weekend due to Green Line extension-related construction. Crews will be rebuilding the Harvard Street Rail Bridge. According to a notice released by the state’s Green Line Extension team, Harvard Street will be closed beginning at 4AM on Saturday, December 20 and will reopen on Sunday, December 21 at 9PM. Sidewalks under the Harvard Street bridge will also be closed at that time. Traffic detour information is available on the Green Line Extension website.

- Information and photo from MassDOT.