Neighbors, Friends Invited for Free Day of Learning, Family Entertainment, Lunch on September 30
Apples and candy apple-making are a sure sign Tufts’ annual Community Day is a nice fall event. Photo by Doug Shoop.
Residents, neighbors and friends are invited to celebrate the tenth annual Community Day at Tufts University on Sunday, September 30, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The event will take place on the Medford/Somerville campus and is cosponsored by the two cities.
“Over the past ten years, Community Day has become a popular tradition for Tufts and our neighbors in Medford and Somerville,” said University Relations Senior Vice President Mary Jeka. “The event continues to draw more people each year for a day of entertainment, lunch and learning. We are delighted that Community Day builds on the strong partnerships between Tufts and our neighbors.”
All activities are free and open to the public. Highlights of the day include:
- Complimentary BBQ lunch and refreshments
- Safety and fire prevention tips from local police and fire departments
- Information tables from community groups in Medford and Somerville
- Performance by the popular children’s entertainment troupe “Traveling Treasure Trunk”
- Pumpkin painting, crafts, cookie decorating, face painting and other family-friendly activities
- Music and dance by Tufts’ student groups, including the Amalgamates, Jackson Jills and B.E.A.T.S.
- African Drumming workshop presented by music department faculty
- Varsity athletes and coaches conducting sport clinics and contests throughout the day
- Educational displays from Tufts’ departments and student organizations including the School of Dental Medicine’s Smile Squad, the Art Gallery, biomedical engineering, and the Sharewood Project, a free healthcare organization run by Tufts medical students
All events take place on the main academic quad at the top of the hill by Goddard Chapel, Ballou Hall and the statue of Jumbo. The event is handicapped accessible. Community Day will be held rain or shine.
Free parking for Community Day is available in the Tufts parking garage at 419 Boston Avenue, Medford. A complimentary shuttle will run between Davis Square (across the street from the Somerville Theater) and the Tufts campus. For directions and maps go to: http://campusmaps.tufts.edu/medford/.
To read more about the event online, please visit http://cday.tufts.edu. For more information, please contact the Tufts Office of Community Relations at 617-627-3780 or email CommunityDay@tufts.edu.
- Information from Tufts University