Photo by Larry Cultrera. More photos and a history of Carroll’s diner available here.
On Saturday morning the city will dedicate the site of the former Carroll’s Diner, a Medford institution.
The Carroll Family/Carroll’s Diner Dedication will take place at 10 AM on the island facing 101 Main Street. The event is open to all.
“Carroll’s Diner first opened in the late 1930’s and served many celebrities of the day, including Ted Williams and Mike Andrews of the Boston Red Sox, Candid Camera’s Alan Funt, Route 66’s Martin Milner and George Maharis, and John Havlicek and Sam Jones of the Boston Celtics,” said a statement released by Mayor Michael McGlynn’s office. “Carroll’s Diner was one of the first restaurants in the Greater Boston area to offer food and beverage 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Longtime Medford residents will remember walking into Carroll’s Diner, where bar seating was available on the left and booth seating was available to the right. Function rooms were located both upstairs and downstairs. Many remember ordering the famous, “English Delight.” Mr. Maurice W. Carroll, Sr. began the diner in the late 1930’s and his sons, Maurice, Jr. and John F. “Jack” Carroll, took over in 1948. During the ceremony, a sign will be unveiled in memory of the Carroll Family and Carroll’s Diner, ‘Medford’s Finest and most up to date eating establishment,’ according to the Diner’s matchbook cover of the late 1950’s.”
The Carroll family has a new restaurant located just down the street from the former diner. The new restaurant opened in 2012.